Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Jill Cox--Teacher Spotlight

I asked Jill how she got started in quilting and what she would like to tell us about Panguitch Quilt Walk.  Here it is in her own words. "How did my adventure in quilting start?  Many people have asked and it all goes back to my childhood.  As far back as I can remember I have always loved to do needlework – especially sewing.  My mother was a wonderful seamstress and I remember the day she got the new Singer Golden Touch sewing machine.  This machine had just come out on the market and I was so excited to try it out.  I started by making clothing and such.  As I got closer to finishing high school I talked my mom into helping me hand quilt my first quilt.  It was a whole cloth quilt.  I still have that quilt to this day.  I remember the “roll as you go” quilting frame that just came out that she purchased for me.  I was set.  As I moved on and got married I started making quilts for my children.  That just did not seem to satisfy my curiosity and so I took an adult education class on quilt making from Tamara Boren in Utah County.  That got me hooked.   She got me in touch with Utah Valley Quilt Guild and later the Utah Quilt Guild where I eventually served as President.  What a blessing knowing and working with so many talented ladies has been.  Each of my 4 children have made a quilt, even my sons.




 
At Panguitch this year I want to show people how to use color and how to make quilt tops pop!  I believe each quilt top tells a bit of our story and that story needs to be told again and again.  I am teaching a bargello class.  Bargellos are so fun to make and no one bargello looks like another.  Everytime I have taught this class, the quilt tops are absolutely stunning.  The wave you learn to create from the fabric choices and cutting tips will make your quilt sing.  They are all so fun and unique.




The pinwheel star quilt top is so fun to make.  This class is great for everyone.  It is great if you have scraps you want to use up or if you have a theme for your quilt.  This class will teach you how easy it is to do partial seams.  You will also learn how to put together all those exchange blocks that you have accumulated from others.  After taking this class you will not be worried about joining a block exchange .  Come and get excited as we enjoy and relax as we use our creativity." 

 I have taken this class from Jill and it is fun and the quilt was adorable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment